Sunday, February 10, 2013

There Once Lived a Girl Who Seduced Her Sister's Husband, and He Hanged Himself: Love Stories by Ludmila Petrushevskaya



I was really excited to win this book from netgalley. I heard that the author wrote a collection of dark fairytale retellings and I absolutely love fractured fairytales. The title of this book led me to believe this would be a similar collection of tales of magic-realism, especially with the comparison to Angela Carter.

Unfortunately, I just couldn't get into this book. I found that it was pretty dull--at least for me. All were tepid love stories that end with sadness and despair.

If you're a fan of literature--especially foreign literature--you might like this, if only for the hipster street cred and so-called literary merit. I rate books based on their entertainment value, however, so if you do, too, you might not appreciate this.

The translation was pretty good, so that was something!

DNF.

0 out of 5 stars.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi there! I'd love to hear back from you! Just remember to be respectful. <3